Originally the Worshiping Congregation here was called The Stoke Newington Presbyterian Church. The cornerstone of the church was laid at the corner of Lordship Road and Manor Road on July 21st 1883.
The first service at Stoke Newington Presbyterian Church was held on June 6th 1884.
Previously the Congregation had been meeting in the Assembly Room in Defoe Road (Stoke Newington), near Church Street, N16. In those days, people were charged for seating in the seating areas of the church, at a cost of 5s. 3d (about 26p per quarter). Charges for seating began in May 1880.
The Old Presbyterian Church-Corner of Lordship Road and Manor Road
In 1969 under the leadership of the Revd. Margaret Boaden, a decision was taken to demolish the old church building and construct on the site building facilities for the community, including areas to be used for worship. The present building was officially opened on October 31st 1970. The Worshiping Congregation became Manor Road United Reformed church, while the 26 units of accommodation flats became Geneva Court, which is under the management of a Housing Association.
The Revd. Margaret Boaden
The 1st Minister of Manor Road United Reformed Church.
The Revd. Margaret Boaden was a Minister from the Old Presbyterian Church from 1965. She remained with the Church-( continuing with the Church’s formation into Manor Road United Reformed Church) until 1972.
(Below) Construction of Geneva Court Flats and construction
area of the lower floor Church Hall of Manor Road URC- Corner of Lordship
Road and Manor Road-picture circa: Late 1960’s.Apparently, the seating on the altar platform is there because the Old Presbyterian Church had its own choir and this is where the choir would be seated.
Today in the 21st Century, Manor Road United Reformed Church is part of the Area of Shared Ministry. We are linked to three other Churches:
- Rectory Road United Reformed Church, Stoke Newington.
- Claremont United Reformed Church, Islington.
- Harecourt United Reformed Church, Islington.
Each Church has its own independence, but from time to time (as much as we possibly can) we will share worship, bible study, social evenings and days out together. In an age of low attendance of congregations in churches, The United Reformed Church believe in Churches supporting each other, for this is the Holy Testament of God’s Will that ‘No Church is an Island On It’s Own’. God’s Will is, that as churches; we love and care for each other, for that is the testament of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Manor Road United Reformed Church is also a registered ‘Fair-Trade’ Church. We hold our own Coffee Mornings on the 2nd Saturday of every month (except August) when we take a holiday break.
Opening hours for our Coffee Mornings are 10am till 12pm (Noon), 2nd Saturday of every month, except August.
Manor Road URC Services consist of Visiting Ministers, and Lay Preachers taking services on various Sundays.
Services are every Sunday and start at 10.30am.
At this present moment in time Manor Road United Reformed Church is without a leader to lead our Church, but with our deep divine prayers, we are hoping that a new leader will be with us soon to be a beacon of light for our church and our community.
Church Staff at Manor Road United Reformed Church
Church Secretary: Mr Kalu Mogue.
Pulpit Secretary: Miss Doris Purkiss.
Church Officer: Mr Fitzgerald Howard.
Church Treasurer: Miss Helen Fania.
Church Organist/Pianist: Mr Roger Howard.
Church Business and Community Liaison Officer: Mr Roger Howard.