Islington and Stoke Newington Area of Shared Ministry.
At this present moment in time, Manor Road United Reformed Church is part of The Islington and Stoke Newington Area of Shared Ministry.
Islington and Stoke Newington Area of Shared Ministry (As Part of the Consultation)
The Claremont, Harecourt, Manor Road and Rectory Road United Reformed Churches (‘the churches’) have declared their wish to form an Area of Shared Ministry (‘ASM’) and in accordance with the wishes of the respective churches the undersigned leaders of the churches (‘ the leaders) now declare their intention to do everything they can to further the aims of the ASM.
The Constitution of Islington and Hackney Area of Shared Ministry
- The Churches will plan their programmes in consultation with each other and will give each other the opportunity to join in their activities whenever practicable.
- This consultation will be achieved by means of quarterly meetings of a body to be known as The Planning Group. This body consisting of three lay representatives of each church nominated by the Elders, together with the leaders. This Group will be chaired by the leaders. It shall endeavour to make all decisions on the basis of consensus. No decision may be made at any meeting unless one representative of each church is present.
- The functions of the Planning Group shall be:
- To maintain effective communication between the churches.
- To promote centralised projects.
- To provide a forum for the churches to discuss common problems and exchange experience.
4. Both the churches and the leaders will seek to help each other. There will be pulpit exchanges between the churches from time to time. Where possible the churches will make their premises available for joint activities. The activities which it is envisaged may be carried out together include mission, study and training, as well as social occasions and where appropriate worship.
5. The Churches will never less remain separate entities, recognised as such for all URC purposes. They will be free to return their individual characteristics. No Church shall be obliged to join in any particular activity, sponsored by any of the other churches. When new leaders are considered, assurances will be sought from them, that they will exercise their ministry in such a way as to confirm with the aims of the ASM.
6. The leaders shall continue to claim expenses solely from their own Church or Churches, not withstanding that on occasion they may incur expenditure in respect of other churches in the ASM.
7. The Planning Group shall review the working of the ASM during the third year after its inauguration.
‘We, the undersigned leaders and Church Secretaries of the Churches, agree the above consultation on behalf of the Churches.’
David Downing Minister, Claremont and Rectory Road United Reformed Churches.
Adrian West Lay Pastor, Harecourt United Reformed Church.
Joyce Berry Lay Leader, Manor Road United Reformed Church.
Jean Fairclough Church Secretary, Claremont United Reformed Church.
Doris Powell Church Secretary, Harecourt United Reformed Church.
Anne Crowe Church Secretary, Manor Road United Reformed Church.
Dated this twenty-second day of November 2003.